Thursday, July 31, 2008

What a long, strange trip it's been!


Here it is, a Thursday afternoon, and am I at work? In school? In any way being productive? Nope.

In a way my love of pottery started when I was little more than a toddler and played in the mud. I kept wanting to make little cups but the mud wouldn't stick together. In my teens I dated a guy from the local college. He took me into the art building - and lost me in the ceramics lab! It was empty except for one student who told me it would be fine if I tried out a wheel. From that point on I was hooked. Life intervened a bit and I did not do pottery for years. Then I'd take a course or do it in a limited way. Two years ago I decided that life had handed me enough lemons for a whole lemon pie and scared up my courage and went back to school to study pottery.

It's been a funny week. Not much has gone my way but I still love the pottery. I've got some shows coming up this fall and plan on going full tilt until Christmas. All my life I've envied those who got to do what they love for a living. Now I'm one of them.

2 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

What a cool piece. Is this a recent one? Very nice! So much character.

Unknown said...

At the end of last year my Mom died. I cared for her in my home. In the last weeks of her life I had to lift her a lot and I tore the tendon in my right arm. It took months to heal and I could not throw during that time. So I did a lot with extrusions and this is one of those pieces. I call them my "crazy ass" series!

Thanks for the compliment. I rather like this one, too.