Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A bad day at the pottery...

Yesterday I was putting the finishing touches on a very large pot, maybe three feet tall, and accidentally stepped on my wheel's pedal. The pot spun at maximum rate and the center ballooned out way past the point of saving it. I worked two days on that damn pot and it's history. Then, probably coincidentally, my wheel just stopped working. All I did was step on the pedal, which I've done over and over for more than two years. But when stuff begins to happen it seems to happen all at once. Finally, while placing another large pot I'd glazed on a low shelf for firing I hit my head hard against the shelf above.

Still, a bad day at the studio beats a good day in many places!

3 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Sounds like the world was telling you to take a break. I've had days like that, sometimes weeks... I hope the next day was better for you!

Unknown said...

I dunno. I drove to the studio yesterday with my two propane tanks in the van for my raku kiln. I forgot to replace the bar that secures loose items. Sure enough, the first time I hit the brakes the tanks rolled like bowling balls - right into the large base I had thrown for my replacement pot. It was leather hard and of course could not be saved so I wound up mixing my recycle clay (that large pot probably had 20 pounds of clay in it) and pugging about 200 lbs of clay. Then today I thought I had an appointment with the vet for my old chow and no, it was on Tuesday and I missed it.

You're right. Time for a break! Thanks.

Enbee said...

Argh! I'm sorry! But hey--you sold another pot! By the way, I showed your site to Jeremy--he was impressed. He really liked the rice bowls.