Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'm back!


Whew! I started this blog while on a bit of a rest from pottery. My Mom died last October and tending to her before her death took a bit of a toll on my right arm. I didn't realize it when I started this blog, but lifting her tore the tendon in my right arm. I thought I just had a case of tennis elbow but as soon as I began throwing pots again my arm turned black (from the internal bleeding from the tear). I had to completely stop throwing pots for six months.

But I'm back now. I wasn't entirely unproductive during that time, however. I created what I call my crazy ass series - pots made from extrusions, mostly. These were fun, but also frustrating. I just wanted to throw. The one shown here, the plate or shallow bowl, is one in my new Southwestern series that feature glaze treatments inspired by the austere yet serene landscapes of Arizona, one of my favorite places. I've also started to make larger pots by both throwing and coiling.

You can see more at my etsy site: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6018944

3 comments:

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hi Rosemary - I found your blog when I took a random look at "potter" profiles. Kind of amazing that you just started posting today. The piece you posted is very pretty!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by! I like your pots as well. And Cambria is such a wonderful place. My brother owned a condo there some years back and I was quite taken with the town, especially the arty shops. Do you sell there now?

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Hi! Yes, I have a studio and gallery in Cambria. I opened the studio at the beginning of the year and just recently got the gallery section up and running. I just open it on weekends. I also have a studio in Bakersfield, CA, so it's a little crazy. Plus, I'm still working with a few design/marketing clients in the valley. OK, so maybe it's a lot crazy!!!